Syncing the MMT-8 to tape
It is possible to sync the MMT-8 to a tape recorder with the help of the
TAPE SYNC mode. In this mode, the MMT-8 reads a master clock pulse
from a track of a tape recorder, which keeps all of the sequencers/drum
machines perfectly in time with the recorded information on the tape
machine. This method has the advantage of eliminating the need to print
drum machine or synthesiser parts on tape, since you can use the master clock
recorded on tape (or "sync track") to trigger the drum machine and
synthesisers via the sequencer.
Recording the sync tone
Before recording any audio information on the tape machine, you must lay
a "sync tone" down on one track of the tape machine. This is usually done
on an outside track (track 1 or 8 on an eight track machine; track 1 or
16 on a sixteen track machine, etc.) to keep the crosstalk to a minimum.
- Connect the TAPE OUT jack of the MMT-8 to the input of the
desired track of the tape machine.
- Press PLAY on the MMT-8, then adjust the level of the track so that
it reads approximately "0 VU".
- You must select a tempo for the song on the MMT-8 at this time as
it cannot be changed later.
- Begin recording on the tape machine.
- Press PLAY on the MMT-8. Allow the MMT-8 to play through its
entire song before stopping the recording. When the song has ended, stop
the recording and rewind the tape machine. You are now ready to trigger
the MMT-8 from the sync tone that you just recorded.
- There is no TAPE SYNC OUT switch as this is always active.
- Keep the sync signal at about 0VU in order to avoid dropouts. If the
MMT-8 does not see the sync tone for a half second, it will assume that the
sync tone has ended and will go into STOP mode.
- If possible, do not use any noise reduction, EQ, or signal
processing on the sync tone.
- Avoid recording high energy, high frequency tracks next to the
To clock the MMT-8 from tape sync
- Connect the output of the track of the tape machine that has the
sync tone to the TAPE IN jack of the MMT-8.
- Press and hold the CLOCK button. The display will read:
- Use the keypad or +/- buttons to select TAPE SYNC IN. The
display should read:
- Put the tape machine into PLAY. The MMT-8 will automatically
start as soon as it receives the sync tone, causing any other sequencers
connected to it to play. Be careful to return to the beginning of
the sync tone since the MMT-8 will automatically begin playing any time
that it recieves the sync tone.